Homeless and hungry? A pamphlet issued by a British Columbia support group for the homeless offers these helpful hints:
- Look behind markets/stores/food banks to see what they throw away at the end of each day.
- Be discreet. Showing up when store employees are around may cause them to lock the dumpster.
- Avoid making a mess to maintain good relations with the store.
- Share with your friends but don’t overly advertise the best dumpster spots.
- Wash all food carefully and check the expiry dates on the packaging.
Apparently the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority financed the brochure. Perhaps the thinking here was the same as the "safe-sex" message; "Well they’re going to go dumpster diving anyway…at least they should be safe when they do it."
I’m sure the "divers" are lining up to get their copy.